My wife and I are expecting our first child this fall. Since learning our October due date, I have been pre-occupied with the media and content I will share with our child (codenamed Dream Weaver). When do I want to expose Dream to my favorite books, movies, songs, etc? I'm using this space to explore the answers to that question and daydream about bonding with my child.

Sunday, October 3, 2010

Content: Rudy

Introduction: A friend of mine from DC, Ken, went to Notre Dame. He loves Notre Dame. He cries every time he watches Rudy, and he’s not the only Notre Dame alum who does. Rudy is a love letter to Notre Dame. Its music, plot, and dialogue are all crafted to give substance to the mythic image of Notre Dame. Not the actual Notre Dame of today – a fairly well-regarded, conservative Catholic college with a middling Division I football program – but the Notre Dame that the school aspires to be, how it sees itself in a Mirror Erised. (Hey, how about that? A Harry Potter reference in the middle of Rudy!) Every school would love to have a movie like Rudy. It sells Notre Dame better than Notre Dame could ever sell itself.

Dream’s Age at Introduction: 8 or 9

Reason for That Age: To really get something out of Rudy, Dream needs to be old enough to understand a little bit of sports. He or she doesn’t have to like sports, but understanding sports is important. He or she also needs to be old enough to know the flavor of success that comes when you overcome disappointment in achieving it. I don’t mean like getting over Asperberger’s Syndrome to become a world champion ballroom dancer, but feeling frustrated with multiplying 7 and 8 for a while before tasting the sweet victory of 56 is sufficient. And at 8 or 9, Dream will be full of the wizardry and magic that starts to elude us as we get older, but will also be newly capable of feeling inspired in a way that is this movie’s bread and butter.

What I Want Dream to Get Out of It: Ideally, Dream will file this away and use it (consciously or not) when he or she runs into a big problem. I want Rudy to infiltrate Dream’s understanding of the hard work that is necessary to achieve your goals and dreams. I also hope Dream realizes that if your goals don’t require work and dedication, you need to find better dreams.

Be content,
John

No comments:

Post a Comment