My wife and I are expecting our first child this fall. Since learning our October due date, I have been pre-occupied with the media and content I will share with our child (codenamed Dream Weaver). When do I want to expose Dream to my favorite books, movies, songs, etc? I'm using this space to explore the answers to that question and daydream about bonding with my child.

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Introduction to Classic Cinema Part I: The Philadelphia Story

Content: The Philadelphia Story

Introduction: This is intended to be the first in an occurring series of entries on classic Hollywood movies that I want Dream to be familiar with. The first is The Philadelphia Story, probably my favorite from the golden age of Hollywood, starring Jimmy Stewart, Katherine Hepburn, and Cary Grant.

Dream’s Age at Introduction: 11 or 12

Reason for That Age: The Philadelphia Story is a romantic comedy, that in its drinking/hangover scenes lapses into the region of screwball comedy. As was standard for the era, the language and subject matter are fairly family friendly. The only concern I have is that Dream will need to be old enough to realize what too much wine will do to you in order to appreciate the brilliance of those scenes, while at the same time mature enough to have had the “don’t drink” conversation with me and Alicia. I think 11 or 12 ought to thread that needle pretty well. He or she will also need to be young enough so as not to view an older romantic comedy through the jaded eyes of a teenager. The movie is very well written, and if you’re willing to be charmed it is incredibly charming.

What I Want Dream to Get Out of It: Dream should gain a greater appreciation of the wit of films and plays from that era, the 40s and 50s. The stars of that era – the Rat Pack, Stewart, Hepburn, Judy Garland, Nat King Cole, etc. – had a low key approach that seems antiquated today. Frequently, it seems that celebrities today are famous for being obnoxious. I like to think that many of these older movies – and The Philadelphia Story is a great example – demonstrate an alternative. You can be understated and still be talented; you can speak reasonably and still be heard; you can be polite and still be devastating. I’d like Dream to absorb some of that.

Be content,
John

No comments:

Post a Comment