My wife and I are expecting our first child this fall. Since learning our October due date, I have been pre-occupied with the media and content I will share with our child (codenamed Dream Weaver). When do I want to expose Dream to my favorite books, movies, songs, etc? I'm using this space to explore the answers to that question and daydream about bonding with my child.

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Pop Rock for All Ages

Content: Beatles

Introduction: Seriously – you need to be introduced to the Beatles?

Dream’s Age at Introduction: Birth

Reason for That Age: Come on! The Beatles are iconic. We’re making a play list for the birthing room, and there’s a decent chance that Dream will be born to a Beatles song. I have no doubt that throughout Dream’s first year, both Alicia and I will sing Beatles songs to Dream and dance around with him or her. It’s not so much that I think this is a good age to introduce the music to Dream, but I know inevitably, Dream will be introduced to the Beatles’ music from birth. I’ve heard from other people who worry that some songs in the Beatles’ catalogue are not appropriate for little kids, but I skimmed their albums and while some are likely over the heads of little kids, I couldn’t think of any that would warp Dream more than Alicia and I intend to.

What I Want Dream to Get Out of It: Obviously, I want Dream to be familiar with the Beatles from a cultural literacy perspective. But I also think that Beatle sing-alongs will be useful in developing early music skills and an appreciation of harmony. I’m really looking forward to the first time I hear Dream’s voice from the car seat singing the words Lady Madonna (or a close facsimile).

Be content,
John

No comments:

Post a Comment