My wife and I are expecting our first child this fall. Since learning our October due date, I have been pre-occupied with the media and content I will share with our child (codenamed Dream Weaver). When do I want to expose Dream to my favorite books, movies, songs, etc? I'm using this space to explore the answers to that question and daydream about bonding with my child.

Friday, May 21, 2010

Introduction to Stand Up Comedy Part V: Rigid, Fist Up, Atkinson

Content: Rowan Atkinson, particularly his one-man skits and Mr. Bean

Introduction: Atkinson is closer to Abbott and Costello than Cosby and Martin. He’s more of a solo performer than a stand up comic, which in some ways is a distinction of semantics. Although Atkinson is best known for Mr. Bean and Blackadder, I prefer his one-man work. His scenes involving the devil, private school fatal beatings, and the “Amazing Jesus” are spectacularly well written. He exemplifies a well-scripted comic, whether in a silent or spoken piece.

Dream’s Age at Introduction: 12

Reason for That Age: Mr. Bean might work at a younger age. He’s daft and silly, with little objectionable material. Who doesn’t like some guy wearing a turkey on his head? But Atkinson works on a higher level. He is a smart, carefully planned performer. Do you have any idea how hard it is to be as physically awkward as Mr. Bean is on command? As someone who is almost socially dysfunctional in his awkwardness, I wish it could be turned on and off as easily as Atkinson makes it appear. His physical comedy is brilliant. Dream will find that funny earlier than 12, but I want him or her to really appreciate it, not just think it’s silly. On top of that, the monologues in Atkinson’s skits have some pretty clever word play that Dream will need to be out of elementary school to appreciate. For example, Dream will definitely need to be in middle school to appreciate the delightfully smutty language in “No One Called Jones.” (And as I’m reviewing this scene, 12 might be a year or two too young, but I’ll stick with it for now.)

What I Want Dream to Get Out of It: Strangely, this is the first lesson from Dream’s introduction to stand up comedy that doesn’t really have the potential for quotable catch phrases. Dream may pick up on some great lines (my personal favorite is “I wondered then as I wonder now if he might not have turned out to be a very different boy indeed if you had administered a few fatal beatings.”), but nothing that he or she will repeat like “Excuse me!” or “Riiiiight.” Rather, I’d like Dream to get a better understanding of physical comedy as well as exposure to some clever language that seems a lot dirtier than it actually is. But really – more than anything else – it’s important that Dream realize a universal truth of American comedy: British equals funny.

Be content,
John

No comments:

Post a Comment