My wife and I are expecting our first child this fall. Since learning our October due date, I have been pre-occupied with the media and content I will share with our child (codenamed Dream Weaver). When do I want to expose Dream to my favorite books, movies, songs, etc? I'm using this space to explore the answers to that question and daydream about bonding with my child.

Saturday, May 8, 2010

Introduction to Stand Up Comedy Part II - “Who’s on First” as Baby’s First Stand Up


Content: Abbot and Costello’s “Who’s on First?” Routine

Introduction: This is not stand up comedy as we experience it today, i.e, one individual on stage, telling stories and making observations. However, Abbot and Costello’s classic vaudeville routine is a great introduction of spoken word comedic performances to kids.

Dream’s Age at Introduction: 7

Reason for That Age: The subject matter – baseball – is appropriate for almost every age. Plus, knowing my wife, Dream is going to be fully indoctrinated into the Red Sox LONG before the age of 7. The simple word play that is at the heart of the routine is easily understandable to kids, and all of the old recordings include crowds roaring with laughter, nudging little listeners in the right direction: “Laugh here. It’s funny now.”

What I Want Dream to Get Out of It: Ideally, Dream should want to listen to this multiple times. That’s how I was with my favorite stand up routines. I listened to Emo dozens of times in middle school. But even if that doesn’t happen, I want Dream to be prepped for further lessons in stand up. And to be aware that whether s/he wants them or not, more stand up sessions are coming from Dad.

Be content,
John

No comments:

Post a Comment