My wife and I are expecting our first child this fall. Since learning our October due date, I have been pre-occupied with the media and content I will share with our child (codenamed Dream Weaver). When do I want to expose Dream to my favorite books, movies, songs, etc? I'm using this space to explore the answers to that question and daydream about bonding with my child.

Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Introduction to Stand Up Comedy Part III – Cosby Is Funny… Right

Content: Bill Cosby’s Stand Up, particularly Himself and Bill Cosby is a Very Funny Fellow… Right!

Introduction: Bill Cosby’s Himself album was one of the first stand up recordings that I owned. It’s not brilliant satire or biting social critique, but it’s very funny. I still use elements of “Chocolate Cake for Breakfast” and “Natural Childbirth” in daily riffing.

Dream’s Age at Introduction: 8…

Reason for That Age: …although after reviewing some of the material in the two albums above, I might have to rethink age 8, or at least select particular tracks to give to Dream. Some of the material an 8-year old would love. “Chocolate Cake for Breakfast” is great for kids of all ages. What child wouldn’t laugh at kids eating cake for breakfast and their dad getting in trouble for it? I don’t know how Dreamworks hasn’t turned that concept into an hour and a half 3-D animated movie yet. Additionally, the Noah bits from Bill Cosby is a Very Funny Fellow… Right! are iconic and great for any kid with a passing familiarity with that biblical story. However, “Natural Childbirth” is almost certainly too mature. As I wrote above – some selective editing is in order. But much of the material is perfect for an 8-year old.

What I Want Dream to Get Out of It: I want Dream to be balled up in giggling fits listening to Cosby exclaim “My children TURNED on me!” I want him or her to repeat “Right…” over and over again trying to imitate Cosby’s intonation. I want Dream to repeat some of this material to his or her friends. Most importantly, I want Dream to be convinced that he or she is funny too, thinking “Cosby is funny just by talking and telling stories. I can talk and tell stories…”

Be content,
John

No comments:

Post a Comment